My 100 favourite films of all time
9.) The Aviator (2004) | Martin Scorsese
If you want to know why I love Leo so much… Watch this. Cate Blanchett was perfect in this film as well. They also worked so well together.
Wes Anderson, at age thirty, has a very special kind of talent: He knows how to convey the simple joys and interactions between people so well and with such richness. This kind of sensibility is rare in movies. Leo McCarey, the director of Make Way for Tomorrow and The Awful Truth, comes to mind. And so does Jean Renoir. I remember seeing Renoir’s films as a child and immediately feeling connected to the characters through his love for them. It’s the same with Anderson. I’ve found myself going back and watching Bottle Rocket several times. I’m also very fond of his second film, Rushmore (1998)—it has the same tenderness, the same kind of grace. Both of them are very funny, but also very moving.
Excerpt from an article written by Martin Scorsese in 2000
I wonder whether he wrote letters to Spike Jonze, too…
- Stanley Kubrick: 2001: A Space Odyssey | A Clockwork Orange | Lolita | The Shining | Eyes Wide Shut
- Sofia Coppola: The Virgin Suicides | Lost In Translation | Marie Antoinette | Somewhere | The Bling Ring
- Sam Mendes: Revolutionary Road | American Beauty | Jarhead | Skyfall | Road To Perdition
- Spike Jonze: Being John Malkovich | Where The Wild Things Are
- Gus Van Sant: Good Will Hunting | My Own Private Idaho | Milk
- Danny Boyle: Trainspotting | Sunshine | A Life Less Ordinary | Shallow Grave | The Beach | 127 Hours
- Mike Mills: Thumbsucker | Beginners | Eating, Sleeping, Waiting and Playing
- Neil Jordan: Breakfast On Pluto | The End of the Affair | Interview With The Vampire | The Crying Game
- Kathryn Bigelow: Point Break | Strange Days | The Hurt Locker
- Martin Scorsese: Gangs of New York | Hugo Cabret | The Aviator | Shutter Island | Taxi Driver
Director Cameo - Martin Scorsese - appears as the irate husband in Bickle’s cab.
I had no idea.
"We need here of you eating sushi, here of you eating sushi, here of you eating sushi, here of you eating sushi, here, here, here…it has to be you, I’m sorry."